First of all, I would like to acknowledge the Lemonade Award bestowed upon the blog by Leesepea. If there's anything I pride myself on, it's the ability to make chicken salad out of chicken sh...er, lemonade from lemons. There is an enormous demand for this particular talent with my current job, unfortunately. But it's nice to know that at my ever-advancing age and all of the "been there, seen that" which comes with an extended experience in education that I still have a shred of intellectual curiosity left. Much more to do, though.
If you're looking for a diversion this afternoon to take your mind off the game, why not try one of these?
- Superuseless Superpowers posts a wide variety of new heroes for us to admire. What if you were only bulletproof after the 12th bullet? If you had powers of invisibility...but could only achieve 99% opacity? Teleport things...but only 1 inch away? The mind boggles. I would love to read the kinds of stories kids would write about people with these stunted superpowers. I've also been wondering what my superuseless superpower could be.
- Thanks to a tip from Joanne Jacobs, I've been checking out ZERO Out of FIVE. This blog is devoted to the funniest exam answers provided by students. Perhaps you have one to contribute from your own classroom?
- Perhaps you might be interested in Passive-Aggressive (And Just Plain Aggressive) Notes? We've all seen them---in the dorm, in the staff room, and stapled to telephone poles. This blog is devoted to to the "painfully polite and hilariously hostile writings from shared spaces the world over." Somehow, it's reassuring to know that people who leave these sorts of notes aren't confined to my workspace.
- Improv Everywhere has some wonderful projects. My favourite is the Best Game Ever, where they showed up at a little league game and gave it the big league treatment---everything from shirtless guys with painted on logos, to programs, to a jumbotron and play calling by professional sportscasters. If the commercialization of pro sports has you down today, go have a look at things through this lens.
- Pedigree is running an ad on alternative pets (e.g. water buffalo, rhinoceros...) for today's game---but even better are the behind the scenes ads where there are interviews with the "pet owners." See the whole campaign on Fire That Agency!
- Finally, I ran across some BBC shorts called Look Around You. These spoof 1980's science classroom videos. Topics range from germs to ghosts to maths. Enjoy "Water" shown below. Others available on YouTube. I can hardly wait to use these with upcoming staff development opportunities.
I have a few other things to share that I will be using for post fodder later in the week. Enjoy your pizza, beer, and cheering on your favourite team today!